20 Things to Know About Me
Happy Saturday! Since it's the weekend and since I haven't yet posted an About Me page, I figured this post could light and fun and a chance to get to know each other better.
1. Where are you from? I grew up about 10 miles northwest of Boston.
2. Have you always lived there? A fun fact about me is that I've lived in 8 states (in roughly chronological order: MA, NH, PA, CA, CT, AZ, NY, and TX). Moving around has been awesome and one of my most defining life moments. The great thing about living in all those places is well...living in all those places! I've seen so many more parts of this country than I would have ever imagined. The downside is that it's hard to get settled and make roots in a community. That's why I moved back to Massachusetts, so I could feel stable for a bit. Until the next move of course :)
3. Tell us about your family. Growing up it was just me, my mom, and my older sister, Alison. We lived in my grandparents house which I loved! My mom is the oldest of six so there were aunts, uncles, and cousins coming and going but yet the house was big so you could totally find a nice quiet spot when you needed to!
4. Where did you go to school? I first left New England to go to undergrad at Penn State where I majored in Accounting. After 5 years in Public Accounting I decided to go back to school and went to the University of Southern California to get my MBA.
5. What do you do for work? I'm now a Director of Marketing in the Credit Card industry. Super sexy, right? Totally kidding! It pays the bills and makes good use of my degrees. Ultimately, I want to be an entrepreneur and help to make the world a more awesome place. Details TBD!
6. How did you get started on your spiritual journey? In 2010, I was on the plane on my way to move to Texas. I knew it wasn't the right move for me but I justified it telling myself that it was the best move for me at the time. On the plane, I opened Glamour magazine to an article about Gabrielle Bernstein. I completely related to her backstory of people pleasing and not always making the best decisions. I loved her message of being a Spirit Junkie. Following her has led me to Mastin Kipp, Kris Carr, Super Soul Sunday and more!
7. Why blog? There is so much to be learned from our stories. I've had a lot of obstacles and a lot of successes. If I can help people get out of their own way and be their most awesome selves, then that would be amazing!
8. Tell us about your Etsy Shop. My shop is called Wildly Authentic. I sell downloadable prints of photography mixed with a bit of typography. My goal is to create visual reminders so people can quickly tune into their amazingness and tune out any negativity. My goal is to eventually get a shop right on here with some "Wildly______." swag!
9. What are you biggest struggles? My health has always been an obstacle for me. I've had asthma since I was a baby so I was constantly sick. I feel old saying this but "back when I was kid" the medical community just didn't know what to do with us asthmatics. I still carry an inhaler to this day. I also struggle with major digestion issues. The Drs say I have IBS but I'm not sure I buy it. I have about 20 potential blog posts on this topic alone. What I would say here is if you don't feel good, don't let a Dr tell you it's normal. Keep looking for a Dr that is willing to treat you.
10. What do you do to workout? If you follow me on Instagram, you know I'm a frequent runner. Anytime I go for a run I feel like I've kicked asthma's ass...even though sometimes it still certainly kicks mine. Basically I feel like a super hero. I also try to do strength training and high intensity interval workouts at the local gym.
11. How do you like to have fun? I absolutely adore karaoke and cocktails. Did you know YouTube has a TON of karaoke videos? Anytime I need a good mood boost, I do some karaoke. I'm pretty sure my neighbors love it too ;)
Rapid Fire Favorites...
12. Favorite color - I love blue and teal.
13. Favorite movie - This is always a hard question for me because there are so many movie genres. I love the Sound of Music, Pitch Perfect, Little Women, Legally Blonde, Devil Wears Prada. Basically I love when women figure out what makes them awesome, make no apologies for it, and totally rock life.
14. Favorite type of music - In college I was a self declared Pop Princess and I must confess not much has changed since then. I also love a good show tune!
15. Favorite food - I love sushi, french friends, coconut milk ice cream, and dark chocolate with sea salt and almonds. Do cocktails count as food?
16. Favorite book - This is a hard one too! I am not good with books. I read them so quickly I never remember them. The Help was maybe the last book I read that I remember recommending to everyone. That's the sign of a good book right?
17. Favorite Shoes - I'm obsessed with TOMS. Seriously! So comfortable and they come in so many styles. Get yourself a pair and come back and tell me how awesome they are.
18. Favorite social media - I love Instagram. Obviously I am into photography and I just love the ease of being able to edit your photos and share them. I love curating my Instagram feed by only following people that post beautiful, positive, and original pictures. I'm also loving Periscope. I haven't posted anything in a while but the interaction and direct feedback is amazing. And all those HEARTS!! Find me on both: @HeidiSwymer.
9. Favorite TV Show - Almost anything on Bravo, HBO or Showtime!
20. Final Fun Fact - I've been off caffeine for over a year now and I do not miss it. Though, I still enjoy a good decaf soy (or almond milk) latte :)
Anything else you want to know? Ask away in the Comments below.